Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Can Teenage Driving Laws Prevent Tragedy?

I would like to begin this post by saying that the following topic is the result of a close-to-home tragedy that occurred just over the river in Linwood, NJ.  Some of you may know that a recent roll over car accident cost Linwood four high school football players.  My heart and prayers are with the families of the players and the community at Linwood.  An article about the players can be found on Sports Illustrated.

This brings me to the point of this article.  Should there be teenage driving laws that restrict the number of passengers that a teenager may have in a vehicle while behind the wheel?  This issue has been particularly hot lately and I personally have heard of proposed legislation in three states (New York, Pennsylvania, and Michigan).  Currently each of these states have what I'll describe as an age cap ban which allows others 18 or 21 and older to ride plus an additional under 18 passenger.  However, in New Jersey the only exception to the law is passengers that are dependents of the teenage driver.

In the Linwood case, there were eight passengers all under the age of 18; therefore, in violation of New Jersey law.  However, from what I understand the cause of the accident is still in the wind (unknown).  Commentators are not willing to say what everyone in the state legislature had lobbied.  That is that the cause was too many distractions due to the number of teenagers in the vehicle.  Personally, I think it is respectful not to criticize the actions of the deceased, but then how do we really tackle this issue.

Out of personal experiences (and the fact that I am not that far removed from teen-hood) I can tell you that there have been times when I have been distracted by friends in my car.  Interestingly though, is that in the few accidents I have been in, I have never had another passenger in the car.  For this reason alone, I feel that laws prohibiting the number of teen passenger in a vehicle operated by a teenager is practically worthless.

Additionally, if we look at other laws passed for traffic safety as a deterrent for certain vehicular activity we find that many laws are not followed closely.  Cruising at 5 m.p.h. over the speed limit has become acceptable, talking and texting while driving, and even drinking then driving are all enforceable legislation, but seem to lack bite.  Instead, we continue to see rising levels in fatal car accidents.

I don't believe the tragedy in Linwood could have been prevented by having less passengers in the vehicle, but does this mean the law in place was ineffective?  You tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment